Sunday, February 3, 2013

Journaling Prompts

Journaling can be a very helpful tool for many people.  It can help you get in touch with your emotions, thoughts and beliefs, tap into your motivation, clarify the past, or dream about your future.  Journaling is also a great way to explore your identity.  Sometimes it can be difficult to start, so the following are prompts to get you started.


Values:
  • What does courage mean to you?
  • What does beauty mean to you?
  • What does loyalty mean to you?
  • What is your idea of happiness?
  • What is something you are optimistic about?
  • What is something you are pessimistic about?  What would it take for you to become optimistic about it?
  • Who do you most admire?
  • Who is your favorite fictional hero and why? 
  • Talk about a characteristic you admire in others? 

Self-Exploration:
  • What is your greatest fear?
  • What historical figure do you most identify with?
  • What do you consider your greatest achievement?
  • How would you like to be remembered? 
  • What is the most courageous thing you have ever done? 
  • What is one of your life goals?  
  • What makes you feel safe? 
  • What makes you laugh? 
  • What is the proudest moment of your life?
  • What do you feel is your greatest success?
  • What is the best decision you have ever made in your life?
  • If you could do whatever you wanted to right now, what would you do? 
  • Write your life mission statement.  
  • Describe a time you helped someone and how it made you feel. 
  • Describe something you do well.  
  • If I knew I could not fail I would...
  • The best advice I've ever gotten is...
  • The best advice I've ever given is...
  • When I feel afraid I...
  • I feel most connected to myself when...  
  • My dream job is... 
  • One part of myself that I am ready to let go of is...
  • I need to apologize to myself for...
  • My friends would describe me as...
  • My family would describe me as...
  • My most cherished childhood memory is...
  • One question I wished people asked me is... 
  • If I wrote a book it would be about... 
  • Something I feel hopeful about is...
  • Something I have always wanted to learn is... 
Relationships:
  • What or who is the greatest love of your life?
  • What do you look for in a friendship? 
  • What do you look for in a romantic relationship?
  • I feel loved when...
  • The way I show love to others is...
  • Write about some of the unspoken rules in your family.
  • My role in my family is...  It used to be...
Spiritual:
  • What is an experience that you would consider a miracle?
  • How has religion played a role in your life?
  • What does the statement "everything happens for a reason" mean to you? 
I wish...
  • If all my wishes came true, I would…
  • I wish I could be like…. This person is special because …   
  • I wish there were a law that said … . This would be a good law because … .
  • I wish I could forget the time I … . Because … .
  • I wish I could see … . Because … .
  • I wish I could learn… . Because … .
  • I wish everyone would learn to … . Then everyone would … .
  • I wish I never … .
  • I wish I always…
  • I wish I had one more chance to … . Then I would … .
  • I wish I had enough money to … .
  • I wish everyone loved … .
  • I wish all children would … .
  • I wish everyone had … .
  • I wish no one had…
  • I wish animals could…… If they could, then … .
  • I wish there were no more … .
  • I wish I didn't have to … .
  • I wish I could go to … .
  • I wish I could hear … .
  • I wish I could give … .
  • One secret I wish I could tell someone is…
  • I wish I could say… to …
  • I wish I could ask... to ...
  • I wish I knew the answer to... 
Eating disorder recovery:
  • Recovery from my eating disorder would look like...
  • If I still was struggling with my eating disorder in 10 years, my life would look like...
  • The qualities in me that will help me recover are...
  • Recovery is scary because...
  • Recovery is exciting because...
  • Write about who you would be without your eating disorder.
  • When I am struggling, I wish other people would... 
  • When I am struggling, I wish I could... 
  • Write about the most and least helpful ways others have supported you.   
  • Write about a time when you had strong urges to use symptoms and you didn't. 
  • I believe it is possible for me to recover because... 
  • One eating disorder belief that I am trying to let go of is...

No comments:

Post a Comment