Sunday, April 21, 2013

Staying on Track Day to Day


 The process of recovery can be very overwhelming.  Sometimes we get lost in the big picture and forget about the little things we can do each day to stay on track.  
It can be helpful to create daily rituals to reaffirm your dedication to recovery and to remember why you are working so hard.  

The following are some daily activities you can do to help you stay on track.  Pick 2-3 activities and commit to them for at least a week.  At the end of the week, reflect and adjust your activities so they best fit your needs.
  • List 3-5 things you are grateful for - remember the little things
  • Read something inspirational
  • Connect to your spirituality
  • Call/talk to one supportive person
  • Write down specifics about how you are going to follow your meal plan for the day
  • List the reasons why you are following your meal plan and exercise plan TODAY
  • Journal
  • Take your prescribed medications
  • Meditate
  • List one specific goal for the day
  • Get healthy exercise
  • Do something pleasurable
  • Take care of your hygiene
  • List your accomplishments at the end of the day
  • Build mastery by doing something that you are good at
  • Take 3-5 minutes to relax (take a warm shower, do a breathing exercise, listen to a guided imagery, stretch, etc) 

One of the most important things you can do every day to stay on track is recommit to your recovery.  This means PUTTING YOUR RECOVERY FIRST.  

Here are some questions you can ask yourself to make sure you are doing this...
  • Am I doing my best to keep myself safe?
  • Am I surrounding myself with supportive people?
  • Am I listening to healthy advice from supportive people?
  • Am I asking for what I need?
  • Am I acknowledging my feelings?
  • Am I expressing how I really feel?
  • Am I being honest with myself?
  • Am I being honest with my support people and treatment team?
  • Am I arranging my schedule so I can eat healthy meals and snacks throughout the day?
  • Am I asking for more help if I need it?
  • Am I accepting the help that is offered?
  • Am I being kind and compassionate to myself?
  • Am I using my healthy coping skills?
  • Am I challenging my negative thoughts?
  • Am I being present?
  • Am I taking my prescribed medications?
  • Am I making appointments with my treatment team and showing up for them?
  • Am I avoiding harmful or negative messages, images, places and people? 
  • Am I giving myself credit for my accomplishments?
  • Am I doing the best I can right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment